Muvattupuzha is one of the beautiful towns in the Ernakulam district. The town looks gorgeous with its greenish environment and various rivers that add more life to its beauty. We call this town as 'Muvattupuzha', as it is a land where three rivers merge to form a river that is 'Muvattupuzha'. Those three beautiful rivers are Thodupuzha, Kothamangalam and Kaliyar.
The history of Muvattupuzha can be narrated as a story. Before being captured by Travancore kingdom, this place was part of Vadakkumkoor kingdom. If we refer various old documents, it can be proved that Muvattupuzha was under the 'Edappally Swaroopam' and later it was transformed to 'manas' that means Brahmin families.
The journey of Muvattupuzha from a village union to a municipality had started just after the Indian independence. From 1949 to 56, the town was a part of Kottayam district, which was under Travancore-Cochin state then. It continued to be a part of Kottayam district until 1958 and later merged with Ernakulam. Muvattupuzha became a village union under a council of three members. In 1953, Muvattupuzha became a panchayat and Kunnappillil Varkey Vaidyan became the first panchayat president. It got the status of a Municipality in 1958 and N Parameswaran Nair became the first Municipal chairperson. Another peculiarity of Muvattupuzha is that it became the first municipality where communist party got power in a general election.
Checking the commercial history of Kerala, Muvattupuzha was one of the important commercial centre in the early 19th century. As per historical date, it was the only road transportation and water transportation route to Kochi port. Muvattupuzha played a great role in the upliftment of Kerala's trade and commerce in 17th and 18th century.
19th century was a period of various administrative reforms and developmental programmes in Kerala. Muvattupuzha also had its significance in this history. Interestingly, the first concrete bridge in Kerala was built in Muvattupuzha. The bridge was developed in 1914 under the supervision of a British engineer.